Welcome to Oceanside – Camp Pendleton! Let’s start this Saturday on the right foot. Here is everything that is happening in our region today.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Partially sunny. High: 69 Low: 51.
🏡 Are you a local real estate agent? Let us help you generate leads, grow your brand at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton, and set you apart from the competition. Click here to find out more.
Here are today’s top five stories at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- As record drought is fueling another potentially dangerous wildfire season, the state auditor reported today that state officials are not holding California’s electric utilities accountable to prevent fires caused by their equipment. the report to the California legislature found that the new Office of Energy Infrastructure Security approved utility companies’ wildfire prevention plans, even when they were “seriously deficient”. Included were plans for Pacific Gas & Electric, California’s largest utility, which was held responsible for starting the state’s deadliest wildfire, the Camp Fire which killed 85 people in 2018 .(CalMatters)
- MainStreet Oceanside is on a mission to name the latest public installation art mural.
Lend a hand and help name Downtown Oceanside’s next public art mural. Mayor Esther Sanchez and stained glass artist Don Myers recently placed the final two pieces of the ocean glass mosaic mural. The contest winner will receive a $100 gift card to the Downtown restaurant of their choice. (Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Patch)
- After a good year and a bad year for Gilead Sciences, based in Oceanside in which revenue grew 11%, but the company faced heightened doubts about its recent M&A deals, chairman of the board and CEO Daniel O’Day landed a $19.2 million salary package, the company disclosed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing. (FiercePharma)
- San Diego County Crime Log. A collection of this week’s police, fire and courtroom stories of the whole county. Cold murder solved, drive-by shooting suspect arrested, Camp Pendleton Marine stabbing death sentence, DUI fatality on I-5 and more. (San Diego crest)
- San Diego got smaller from 2020 to 2021 entirely because fewer people moved into the area than moved away.according to a statement released Thursday by the US Census Bureau.
It’s been three straight years in which San Diego has experienced negative population growth. Nationally, 73% of counties experienced a natural population decline, meaning there were more deaths than births during the year, a trend partly due to an increase in deaths due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (Voice of San Diego)
Today at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Live Jazz at Café Vigilante (11:00 a.m.)
- DOG ADOPTION EVENT! – Coomber Craft Wines Oceanside – This Saturday (12:00 p.m.)
- Coomber Craft Wines Oceanside – Live Music with Story and Melody! (5:30 p.m.)
- New Village Arts, Oceanside Theater Company presents “Into the Woods” (7:30 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Jennifer Atenza, Oceanside Police: At @FoxNews share this morning @OceansidePD #Random acts of kindness Project. This is all made possible by a donation from the Fortin family to an act of kindness grant to TIP Inc. Excited to bring random acts of kindness to the @CityofOceanside all year. (Twitter)
- Next door neighbor, Rancho Del Oro: “Reposting… TERI Inspired Resale is a thrift store and professional work environment for people with developmental disabilities. – We need ADULT clothing donations. Men’s and women’s clothing donations can be dropped off at our store …” (The next door)
- Next door neighbour, San Luis Rey: “Hi neighbours! – Does anyone know of a place where I can fix the kids’ scooter? I need the bearings fixed. (Bike repair doesn’t do that) Thanks.” (The next door)
- Next door neighbor, Jeffries Ranch: “Looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced gardener. – Just need to mow the lawn and weed twice a month. Thanks in advance!” (The next door)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Beyond the Palms: Photo of the Day by the Ocean
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (March 26)
- Advocacy for Foster Youth! (March 29)
- Kings of Queen, A Tribute to Queen, at Boiling Brew Works And Live Music (April 1)
- The Easter Bunny visits the High Tea event (April 9)
- Easter service and Easter egg hunt with 5,000 eggs (April 17)
- Add your event
Do you like Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You are now in the loop and ready to start this Saturday on the right foot. I’ll catch up with you early tomorrow morning with a new update!
— Lisa Frost
About me: I’m the community editor for the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton patch and love sharing all things Oceanside. It’s a privilege to help locals and those who visit our amazing and diverse city stay informed about the local news, people and stories that shape our community. Explore all that Patch has to offer Oceansider:
Questions? Concerns? Comments? You have my full attention at [email protected]